Smartwool says that socks should last about a year.
I wrote the following email (seen above) to Smartwool last night:
I am a long time customer and fan. I have, however, been disillusioned with how long my Smartwools last before wearing in the heel/ball-of-foot region. In the case that my expectations are set too high, I am asking you to help me understand how long I should expect these socks to last.
On your website you list the following four factors in wear and tear:
– How the product is worn
– How often it is worn
– Proper shoe fit
– Ensuring proper care instructions are followed
Could please elaborate on those factors in the following ways?
1) How should a Smartwool sock be worn?
2) How often do you recommend wearing Smartwool socks?
3) What are the indicators that proper shoe fit is the culprit of my socks’ wear and tear?
4) According to the packaging, I should machine wash warm, tumble dry low, no bleach. Is this all I should consider in proper care?
I am asking these questions for my own edification and plan to share this email and whatever clarifications you provide with readers of my blog – https://smartwoolexperiment.wordpress.com.
And received the following response this morning from a customer service representative:
Thank you for your email. The ideal wearing of a sock is with a shoe. Walk on carpet with no shoe will wear the sock out faster than normal. The shoe should fit to size. You will start to see weird wearing (examples: on top of the sock, on the side of the foot area) if the shoe doesn’t fit properly. I would recommend wearing the socks in a rotation with other socks. If you rotate your socks weekly they should last about a year. The washing directions you have are correct. I would also recommend not washing your socks with a liquid fabric softer.
(Name of Customer Service Rep)
The big takeaways for me in this exchange are:
- Don’t wear socks on carpet (not a problem, we have no carpet in the house).
- Weird wearing (top of sock and side of foot) are indicators of poor shoe fit (this is not where my socks are wearing).
- Smartwools should only last a year if worn weekly (see my question to you below).
- Don’t use fabric softener (also not a problem).